Open up the champagne, The Runaways is officially up and running! After years of reading blogs and flirting with the idea of creating one of my own; after many failed attempts at keeping a blog – it’s a lot of work people, and you can’t expect anything else from someone who could never keep a diary growing up – I finally took the plunge and here we are. I mean, it’s 2019 for christ’s sake, it’s now or never!
I believe this eventful decision deserves a celebration, and what a better way to celebrate new beginnings than drinking a pink, fancy cocktail with friends? I made this sparkling strawberry sangria on a weekday afternoon and lemme tell ya, what a delight. It’s sweet and fruity, which means you’ll get tipsy without even knowing it. It’s just like fooling yourself, just like all those red flags you love to ignore every time you meet someone new. Isn’t that fun? You know what you’re getting yourself into, but it’s worth the adventure. And good stories start with pink, fruity drinks.
I’d say this sangria would be a hit on a weekend brunch or a pool party, or if you’re like me, at 4 pm on a Tuesday. For the sparkling rose I went with the Spanish Cava and it’s a great option. Here’s what you’ll need (serves 3):
Sparkling Strawberry Sangria
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur such as Cointreau or Grand Marnier
- 10 strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tbsp superfine sugar
- 1/2 bottle (375 oz) sparkling rosé wine
- 1 cup lemon-lime soda
- rosemary for garnish (optional)
- In a large container combine liqueur, strawberries, and sugar.
- Stir well ( refrigerating for a couple hours will allow it to fully absorb the flavours, but it’s not necessary)
- Just prior to serving add in the sparkling wine and soda.
- Serve over ice with rosemary garnish if desired.
This recipe was inspired by The Happier Homemaker and you can find the original here.
Happy drinking! Now let’s get this party started.