A rainy weekend in Paris

Picture this: my mom, aunt and I hop on a bus headed to Paris in the middle of the night. It’s a very last minute decision and we’re beyond excited. We’re expected to arrive early in the morning, but in the wee hours, somewhere in Belgium, we find ourselves stuck on the side of the road. Hours go by and it’s very clear we’re not going anywhere anytime soon. Our German driver looks confused; at this point he’s tried everything to fix the problem but to no success. The Frenchman sitting next to us is by no means happy about the situation and jumps out of the bus, screaming out of frustration. We all look at each other and wonder quietly, will we ever get to Paris?ย

But then suddenly, to everyone’s surprise, a miracle happens and we’re back on the road. We’re closer to Paris than we’d imagined and soon enough we’re getting off in The City of Lights! C’est magnifique!

It feels so wonderful to wake up in Paris! Even if your transportation there was a very unglamorous bus. None of that matters when you arrive in Paris. In fact, you can’t even remember what life was like before. The city is so romantic! Even if you’re there with your mom and aunt. You’re all having a love affair with the city. And we had no time to lose.

We got rid of our bags and headed for breakfast. Black coffee, croissant and very pretty French sandwiches. We hardly spoke any French, they hardly spoke any English, but we made it work. We sat at a table outside and watched the beautiful city waking up.

We walked everywhere. It rained. And it rained again, but we didn’t care. When we finally reached the Eiffel Tower it was really like magic. Strange emotions overwhelm you and you feel like you’re part of history or something. And there are thousands of hundreds of people everywhere you look, with their selfie sticks and photobombingย  every picture you take. A very unglamorous way to be glamorous, or is it the other way around?

We hung out for a while and decided to have dinner at a lovely tiny restaurant nearby. It was a perfect decision, because not long after it started raining cats and dogs. We were very pleased with ourselves and I ordered frog legs to celebrate. Well, it’s Paris after all! I simply had to. No one else dared even touching them but I must say, they were actually quite good.

Later that evening, when the rain was still falling down and the Tower was shinning bright, we headed back to the hotel. So tired and so happy.

And the next day, we woke up in Paris.

A rainy weekend in Paris

next post

previous post

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Rosa

March 30th, 2018 at 7:31 am

LOVE this photos and your writing! So happy for you that you had an amazing trip after the troubles on the road!
    I hope I’ll visit Paris this summer, it’s so crazy that I’ve never been there!

2. Vienna Olive

March 30th, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Thank you so much, Rosa! You’re gonna love Paris, I had such a wonderful time there and I wish you the same! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Rosa

March 30th, 2018 at 7:31 am

I hope I’ll visit Paris this summer, it’s so crazy that I’ve never been there!

4. Keira

March 30th, 2018 at 6:20 pm

I just went to Paris for the first time last February and I felt EXACTLY how you are describing. Everything felt so romantic there. I went with the bf and it was def one of my favorite trips. Unfortunately, it was a bit cold when we went but the scenery is just so different than here in the US. Everything was just more “petite”. I loved the city so much. Your photos are amazing btw <3

5. Keira

March 30th, 2018 at 6:23 pm

oh! And I hope you had a chance to check out the catacombs ๐Ÿ˜€ THAT was a really unique experience.

6. Vienna Olive

March 31st, 2018 at 4:03 pm

I didn’t!! I really hope I get a chance to go back and check them out though, because it must be an amazing experience!

7. Vienna Olive

March 31st, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Thank you Keira! Exactly, everything in Europe feels so petite and quiet when compared to North America. Maybe it’s the different scenery and pace that makes it even more romantic! It was cold when I was there too but I guess you can’t help falling in love with the city..

8. Keira

March 30th, 2018 at 6:20 pm

9. Keira

March 30th, 2018 at 6:23 pm

10. Vienna Olive

March 31st, 2018 at 4:03 pm

11. Vienna Olive

March 31st, 2018 at 3:59 pm

12. iwannabealady

April 2nd, 2018 at 3:55 pm

I’m still trying to make my way there. I love spontaneous road trips. The bus breakdown only adds to an interesting story, at least that’s how I like to think of things that go wrong on vacation ๐Ÿ™‚ Beautiful photos!

13. Vienna Olive

April 3rd, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Absolutely! I see it the same way, it makes for a much more interesting story! Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

14. iwannabealady