This Kale and Sweet Potato Salad has all the cozy fall flavors.
How do we feel about kale? Do we love it? Do we hate it? It seems to be a pretty divisive vegetable, the poor thing…
If you’re someone who’s easily influenced like me you’ll be delighted to learn that kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods in existence (enough information to make me to go ahead and buy a massive bag of kale – it’s a nightmare, I’ve been having it for every meal and it never ends). But there’s more. Kale is an incredibly resilient little plant: it thrives on cold weather and it grows wild across different continents.
Its ability to adapt and make the most out of life circumstances is quite remarkable, and something I strive to excel on myself, so we all have a thing or two to learn from kale.
Therefore I’m here to say we should all start supporting kale a little bit more. Fall is a great season to get started on that, salad is the quickest way to a meal, you put the two together, you get the best of both worlds. A version of this kale and sweet potato salad was first spotted on Budget Bytes and it has all the superfoods combined and fall flavors- absolutely fabulous.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 chilli powder
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- chilli flakes
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 1 apple
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Peel and dice the sweet potato into 1/2-inch pieces. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and add the olive oil, cumin, smoked paprika, chilli powder, and salt. Toss until they are coated in oil and spices.
- Roast the sweet potatoes for about 30 minutes, or until they are tender and browned on the edges, stirring once half way through.
- In the meantime, prepare the rest of the salad. Make the dressing: add the tahini, water, lemon juice, maple syrup, garlic, chilli flakes, and salt to a bowl. Whisk together until the ingredients are emulsified and smooth. Set aside.
- Pull the kale leaves from the tough stems and rinse them well in a colander with cool water. Drain the kale well, then cut it into small pieces.
- Cut the apple into thin slices.
- Add the kale to a serving bowl. Add pepitas, feta, sweet potatoes, and top with tahini dressing. Serve.